Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Review: Cinder by Marissa Meyer

     126 years after the fourth World War, the earth is united in a race to discover the cure for the plague that is taking over the planet. The day after the emperor of New Beijing is taken by the Blue Plague, the Evil queen of the savage citizens of the planet Luna arrives on Earth to arrange a supposed "peace treaty", but the leaders are walking on hot coals because the smallest thing could set her off, and the whole planet would be plunged into war.
       Add in Cinder, part mechanic, part cyborg, who is forced to live under the same roof as her horrible stepmother, and two sisters. Cyborgs are generally looked down upon, so Cinder tries to hide her mechanisms when one day the Prince of New Beijing walks into her mechanic booth asking her to fix his android- an android that contains something of national importance.
     All Cinder wants to do is escape. Escape from her stepmother who blames her for the family's illness, and from the constantly scrutinizing eyes of the public, who will always see her as inferior. But now she finds herself stuck as parts of her past come to light that she never could have imagined.
     The story of Cinderella is taken to a whole new level in this fast paced, unique retelling.

I loved this book so much more than I thought I would, it's easily earned a spot as one of my favorites. I could not put it down. I finished it in one siting! I loved Cinder, Kai, and her quirky droid, and Meyer did a wonderful job at making me properly revile the Queen and the Stepmother. This book is very well written, and was incredibly enjoyable to read. I was captivated from the very first page! The plague, androids, cyborgs, and Luna really added for a fantastic new twist on an old classic. I would much rather have grown up with this version of Cinderella than the Disney one! I seriously loved every part of this book. I can't think of one thing I didn't like! I'm very much looking forward to continuing this series, and seeing what else is in store!
5 out of 5 noodles all the way!

2 comments:

  1. The second and third books are even better - they're sort of crescendo-ing! I can't wait for you to meet Captain Thorne :)

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews