Saturday, July 19, 2014

Review: Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Cath and Wren are twin sisters. Sisters that, until recently, Cath thought were inseparable. But when their freshman yeah of college starts, and Wren doesn't want to room with Cath, everything seems to go wrong. When the girls were kids, their mother left them. Their dad couldn't provide much solace, as he was a broken down mess. All the girls had was each other.
And Simon Snow of course. The girls were completely obsessed with the fandom. Fangirls in every sense of the word. But as the years went on, Wren grew out of it and became "the independent one" and Cath was left behind, preferring the fictional world over the real one. Cath shuns interaction with pretty much everyone. Content to stay in her room writing fanfiction for the rest of her life. She doesn't want to face her actual problems, so she won't. But what she doesn't realize is that eventually, your problems will find a way to face you.
Fangirl has been on my TBR pile ever since it came out. As a pretty big fangirl myself, how could I pass it up? I was planning on waiting for it to come out in paperback, but when I saw it at half price books in hardcover for only eight dollars, I had to get it!
When I finally started reading it, I wasn't disappointed. It was your stereotypical cutesy contemporary, just a little nerdier. There were times when I didn't like the main characters, Cath, or her sister Wren, very much at all. Wren was mean and Cath was obsessively anti social. But as the book progressed, they got a little better. I didn't care much for the actual fanfiction part of the book, so I usually just skipped over it. I did like how there were more serious life problems in the book, because it's all too often in contemporary books these days that they have no real pot and the character doesn't grow at all. We definitely see a lot of growth in these characters, as they learn to face their problems, and mature. All in all, this was just a light, fun read, but nothing spectacular.
3.75 out of 5 noodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews