Monday, December 1, 2014

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

Marie-Laure and Werner Pfennig live in two very different worlds.
     Sightless Marie knows has known only the streets of Paris her entire life. Having memorized her way around by a model of the city that her father built for her, it is a huge shock to her when her and her father are forced to relocate to the tiny town of Saint Malo during the German occupation of Paris. They go to live with her great uncle who hasn't stepped out his front door in 20 years. Trapped in a strange house in a new place during some of the most brutal years in history, Marie-Laure lives with a unquenchable curiosity that just might save her life.
     In a children's home in a small mining town in Germany, Werner grows up with his little sister in the years before the second world war. One day he discovers an old radio, seemingly broken, that draws them in. Werner has always had an inventive mind, however, so when he fixes the device, he discovers he has a strong talent for working with wires and electricity that gets him a spot in an ominous military academy and enrolled in the Hitler Youth.
     Beginning in the early years of their childhoods and following them into adulthood, All the Light We Cannot See follows Marie-Laure and Werner as the path of the war changes them in ways they never imagined. Taking place over ten years, and told in different timelines, this story seamlessly tells the story of two young people whose lives changed course forever during those fateful years. Werner and Marie-Laure live two different lives during the same time until the day they meet, when their worlds collide.

Let me start off by saying that I have been waiting to read this book for SO LONG. The plot immediately intrigued me, and I ran to my library some three months ago to check it out. When I looked it up in the system however, I was very sad to see that there were about 30 people in front of me that had it on hold. I waited for what felt like forever, and when I finally got the email last week that said it was MY turn to read the book, I was stoked. And, ladies and gentleman, this book did not disappoint.
  This book is adult historical fiction, and unlike anything I had ever read. The writing was absolutely beautiful, and left nothing to be desired. The author did an amazing job with going back and forth between the two timelines, and the two characters. The story goes back and forth between 1934 and 1944 until they catch up to each other, and it was so well done that you really feel the passage of time in the pages.
  Folks, I'm even going to go out on a limb here and say that I might have a new all time favorite book. Seriously. I loved every minute of reading this. I can't fully describe the experience, you'll just have to go read it for yourself. 5 noodles!


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recommendation! I just saw this book this morning on GoodReads (it won best of 2014 in the Historical Fiction category) and I marked it To Read. One of my favorite books of all time is Atonement by Ian McEwan, which is also set during the Second World War. I can't wait to read this!

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews